We at Sunstrand dedicate ourselves to providing sustainable textile solutions for our innovative customers.
The textile industry continues to grow, and the need for ethical sourcing and production is paramount to keep consumers delighted and costs low, while meeting the increasing regulations demanding environmental consciousness. The opportunities for improved environmental consciousness are everywhere in the textile industry.
Sunstrand natural fibers have superior performance and sustainability properties. The most prominent of our feedstocks is hemp, which has the following advantages:
- Eco Print: Hemp creates one of the eco-friendliest fabrics in the world. Hemp requires no pesticides, crowds out weeds without herbicides, controls erosion of the topsoil, and produces oxygen. It is a renewable resource that can be cultivated in as little as 100 days and is the world’s most versatile fiber.
- Strong Fabric: Hemps’ tensile strength is eight times that of cotton fiber which accounts for its historical use in sails and rope for the British and American Navies. It is an exceptionally durable and strong eco-friendly fabric.
- Hypo-allergenic: Fabrics made from hemp are hypo-allergenic and non-irritating to the skin. Current tests indicate that hemp is able to kill Staph and other bacteria that come in contact with its surface.
- Feel of Fabric: Hemp has the look of classic linen and can have the feel (depending upon fabric blend) of your favorite flannel. Hemp materials soften with age and with each washing.
- Great for hot weather: Like linen and cotton, hemp is a cool choice for summer. It breathes well. It is recommended for warm, humid climates as the fabric resists mildew and absorbs moisture.
- UV Resistant: This eco fabric also protects you from the sun with its UV resistant qualities.